Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Day In The Office


"...through footless halls of air..."
Nothing like getting some air.
Thanks to Jim Lee of Phoenix Air USA, I finally had my desire: Jim and I flew the fabulous new Phoenix LSA motorglider, with both wingtips (max span: 49 feet!) out of his home base at Melbourne International Airport, Florida, and I have to say simply this: it cured my winter blues.
Hard at work: Jim Lee, left, and me
Or to paraphrase RenĂ©e Zellwegger, "Shut up.  Just shut up.  You had me at liftoff."
To say the Phoenix lives up to its advance billing is understatement, plain and simple: it's a wonderful airplane for anybody who desires to have friendly Light Sport handling (2 second roll rate, 45° to 45°), wonderful engine-off soaring performance (200 fpm, 32:1 glide ratio), excellent and comfortable XC cruise (100 knots at 75%), comfortable, semi-reclined seats, great visibility with the sleek bubble canopy and forward rake of the cowl, beautiful lines, wonderful engine package...need I go on?
Ready for sky: Phoenix with the long wing extensions.
I'll let the pix do the talking for now.  Expect my flight report in Plane & Pilot soon.

Tomorrow...Sebring 2011 Light Sport Expo!

Climb over 1000 fpm at 57 knots


Stay tuned  for my daily reports.  The rumors be flyin' about lots of exciting new developments in what we all hope is a move-up year for the economy, and the aviation industry.
A beautiful Rotax 912 ULS (100hp) installation
Wonderful aerodynamic lines and just plain beautiful.

No comments: